Summer Discipleship School
Every Tuesday until July 31, 2018
1:00pm – 3:00pmCategory: Sr. High Ministry
And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore, and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen. –Matthew 28:18-20
Our Goal: Fulfill this command
Equip the rising generation with the necessary tools to make disciples of the world around them – in and beyond their high school years.
Our Vision: This is how we will do it
1) Provide a foundational understanding of what Christians believe – Each student will work, independently, through an eight-week daily devotional packet entitled: ‘Biblical Principles for a Strong Foundation.’ They will also be held accountable to reading through a daily reading schedule.
2) Challenge students to commit to developing their personal prayer life – We will provide time for each student to pray individually and in a group setting.
3) Equip with tools to know how to study God’s Word, independently – Each student will be taught how to study systematically through God’s Word using the inductive Bible study method.
4) Provide practical insight to help share their faith – We will utilize the different class sessions to teach transcendent tools needed for the everyday disciple, a broad range of apologetics as well as address specific topics relevant to the life of a high school student.
5) Challenge students to be inter-connected in a community of faith – Each student will be expected to attend all class session along with serve within our church body and the community. As a result, they will discover the gift God has given us in Christian fellowship.
Nuts and Bolts:
Tuesday, May 29, 6pm in the Youth building
Registration Deadline: Sunday, June 10
June 12: Orientation
June 19: Apologetics: Reliability of the Bible – Parker O’Shea
June 26: Apologetics: Evangelistic Tools – Jason Zweigle*
July 10: Study: How to Study God’s Word (1 of 2) – Parker O’Shea
July 17: Study: How to Study God’s Word (2 of 2) – Parker O’Shea
July 24: Prayer: Developing a personal prayer life – Reggie Etheridge
July 31: Topical: Relationships – Parker O’Shea
August 7: Apologetics: LDS Faith – Dave Lauer
*Full day class
Graduation Retreat: Tuesday, August 14th - Wednesday, August 15th, 8am-6pm*
*Dates are yet to be set in stone
Onsite: From the following list, choose one ministry to serve in on a weekly basis, throughout the summer
Special Needs Ministry
2nd Service (Weekly, 10:45-1)
Offsite: From the following list, choose one ministry to serve in for each month
Twilight Hope – 2nd and 4th Tuesday (5:30-7:30p), 2nd Sunday (2-4p)
City Light (ladies only) – 1st and 3rd Friday (6-7p)
Street Evangelism – Fridays (7:30-9:30p)
Miscellaneous: One-time commitment
iCanBike Volunteer – June 11-15 (1 hour a day) – first week of ‘school’
Cost: $40 (cover costs for graduation retreat)